GEN U is an initiative through the Heart of Illinois United Way to get the next generation of leaders involved in the community. Since 2009, GEN U has donated over 9,000 hours of community service and raised over $260,000 for United Way-funded health and human care programs.
Our mission is to improve the community by engaging and empowering the next generation of leaders through networking, volunteerism, and professional development. We do this by connecting like-minded individuals at unique fundraisers, making volunteering easy and effective, and providing a pathway for young professionals to lead the community at a higher level.
What We've Achieved
- Over 160 participants have completed our BoardSERVE program since 2012
- Of all BoardSERVE participants, 85% of those surveyed now serve on nonprofit committees or Boards of Directors
- Last year, more than 800 hours of community service were donated by GEN U volunteers
- The 2017 Mad Dash raised over $20,000 for the Community Impact Fund
- The 2017 Snowball Masquerade was our largest ever and raised over $30,000 for the Community Impact Fund
- Agency Lunch & Learns educated participants on the wide variety of United Way-funded programs and services